While Marvel Studios is only a short time away from its next Disney+ exclusive, What If...?, the team is also deep into preparation for the second theatrical movie of Phase 4 in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.
With the promotional tour ramping up for the MCU's next theatrical outing, the hype is growing to see Simu Liu's Master of Martial Arts make his long-awaited MCU debut. Holding an emotional story centered around a father and his son with the new take on the Mandarin, this film will open the doors to a never-before-seen realm of Marvel's expansive universe.
Marvel Studios is bringing yet another PG-13 rated adventure to its ranks with fighting and superpowers present throughout, and with the release so close, the time is now for fans to begin looking at home long the movie might be.
Now, that specific information has officially arrived, and the answer puts Shang-Chi right in line with its other MCU counterparts in terms of run time.
SHANG-CHI's RUNTIME REVEALED
Cinemark's listing for Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings revealed that the movie will have a run time of 2 hours and 12 minutes. This run time is longer than both 2017's Thor: Ragnarok and 2019's Spider-Man: Far From Home while also being shorter than 2017's Spider-Man: Homecoming and 2021's Black Widow.
Overall, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings ranks as the eleventh-longest movie of the 25 released to date in the MCU. The full list can be seen below:
- Iron Man - 2 hours, 6 minutes
- The Incredible Hulk - 1 hour, 52 minutes
- Iron Man 2 - 2 hours, 4 minutes
- Thor - 1 hour, 55 minutes
- Captain America: The First Avenger - 2 hours, 4 minutes
- The Avengers - 2 hours, 23 minutes
- Iron Man 3 - 2 hours, 10 minutes
- Thor: The Dark World - 1 hour, 52 minutes
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 2 hours, 16 minutes
- Guardians of the Galaxy - 2 hours, 1 minute
- Avengers: Age of Ultron - 2 hours, 21 minutes
- Ant-Man - 1 hour, 57 minutes
- Captain America: Civil War - 2 hours, 27 minutes
- Doctor Strange - 1 hour, 55 minutes
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 2 hours, 16 minutes
- Spider-Man: Homecoming - 2 hours, 13 minutes
- Thor: Ragnarok - 2 hours, 10 minutes
- Black Panther - 2 hours, 14 minutes
- Avengers: Infinity War - 2 hours, 29 minutes
- Ant-Man & the Wasp - 1 hour, 58 minutes
- Captain Marvel - 2 hours, 3 minutes
- Avengers: Endgame - 3 hours, 1 minute
- Spider-Man: Far From Home - 2 hours, 9 minutes
- Black Widow - 2 hours, 14 minutes
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - 2 hours, 12 minutes
ONE OF MARVEL'S LONGEST SOLO MOVIES
Looking at the top of the run time list, it only makes sense that the four Avengers outings from the Infinity Saga have the most content considering how many characters are featured in all of them. Taking that into account, Shang-Chi comes with the seventh-longest runtime out of Marvel Studios' remaining solo movies.
This also means that out of the MCU's 25 theatrical outings that have run times, 19 of them clock in with at least two hours of screen time.
Fans should be thrilled to get more than two hours of Simu Liu, Tony Leung, and more laying the expected beatdown on each other. Looking at how the Abomination and Wong will both play a role in the film as well, Shang-Chi looks set to utilize every second of the 132 minutes it's been allotted.
Including a post-credits scene or two, fans will be paying close attention to how Marvel Studios fills the time on screen with a new adventure diving into the mystical world of martial arts. Having to set up a brand-new hero while paying tribute to the MCU's expansive past, Shang-Chi has a tall task ahead of it but one that Marvel Studios is surely ready for.
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will debut exclusively in theaters on September 3, 2021.