New Thor 4 Trailer | Moon Knight Season 2 Poll | Ironheart Starts Filming | She-Hulk CGI Reactions | Daredevil Crew Reacts to Reboot | Future Stan Lee Cameos | First Look at Marvel's Echo | Amber Heard Scenes Cut |

Liam Neeson Would Return to Star Wars on One Condition

Star Wars, Qui-Gon, Liam Neeson
By Richard Nebens

Disney and Lucasfilm are set to take a couple of blasts to the past in the upcoming round of projects coming to Disney+. Ewan McGregor will bring his grizzled Jedi Master back into the fold with Obi-Wan Kenobi while Diego Luna returns in Andor after his appearance in 2016's Rogue One. But there's another name on the sideline that's often been discussed in recent years: Liam Neeson.

Best known for his action roles in films such as the Taken trilogy and 2005's Batman Begins, Neeson also helped kickstart the Star Wars prequel trilogy, playing Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn in 1999's The Phantom Menace. Since then, he's appeared in three episodes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and made a voice cameo in 2019's The Rise of Skywalker, but he's largely been absent otherwise.

Rumors have pointed to Neeson possibly returning in the Obi-Wan Kenobi series as a Force Ghost thanks to the connection he shared with McGregor's hero in their only on-screen appearance together. Now, the actor has commented on the idea of returning to his role in the galaxy far, far away, although it's a little unclear what to make of his response.

Liam Neeson Addresses Star Wars Rumors

Liam Neeson Star Wars
Star Wars

Speaking with ComicBook, Liam Neeson shared his desire to return to the role of Qui-Gon Jinn in a future Star Wars project, having not played the role on-screen since 1999. 

Although he wants to come back, Neeson admitted to being "a bit of a snob" in regard to TV roles and said once again that he'd be open to reprising his role. He specifically mentioned that his only condition would be that he star in a film, noting that he "[likes] the big screen" more than the TV experience.

He also began reminiscing on his time playing the role more than two decades ago, calling it "a terrific experience" shooting his first Star Wars movies:

"Oh, I think so, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think so ... if it was a film. Yeah, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to TV, I must admit, I just like the big screen, you know? Qui-Gon, I can't believe it's 24 years since we made [Star Wars:The Phantom Menace, I just cannot believe where the time has gone. It was a terrific experience, shooting that film in London."

Neeson Throwing Fans Off Star Wars Trail?

Of course, looking at Liam Neeson's recent track record, the Irish megastar has largely taken roles that wind up in theaters rather than on a streaming service. However, with so much of the Star Wars spotlight currently on Obi-Wan Kenobi, could Neeson simply be throwing people off and leading them to not expect a Qui-Gon comeback?

Rumors originally pointed to the actor coming back to play his famous Jedi Master more than a year ago, but new rumors from this year stated more firmly that he would, indeed, be a part of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Neeson has also done his part in denying those rumors, although it wouldn't be the first time an actor has lied about an exciting return (see Andrew Garfield in Spider-Man: No Way Home). 

Following the first rumor's release, Neeson said that nobody had been in touch with him about a comeback, but he's often stated that he would be willing to reprise the role should he get the call

With just over a month until Obi-Wan's solo series debuts on Disney+, Neeson's potential comeback is going to be a hot topic, especially if it becomes a reality. Regardless of whether that happens, the Star Wars veteran is unquestionably aware of what a Qui-Gon comeback could mean for the franchise, and he seems to be willing to help make it happen.

Obi-Wan Kenobi will begin streaming on Disney+ on May 27. Episode I: The Phantom Menace is available to stream on Disney+ as well.